Tijuca Express Hike
Get to Pedra Bonita hiking
We only work with very SMALL GROUPS, with maximum 6 participants and our activities are mainly outdoors, with very low risk, even though we’ll follow these practices to mitigate any chance of contagion.
The Pedra Bonita hike (696m/2283ft), takes you to one of the most stunning summits of Rio de Janeiro with great views of the city, the coastline and the rainforest around (Tijuca Forest). In a 50 minute hike going uphill you’ll reach the top and see from an unique angle Pedra da Gávea, the famous majestic flat rock and the biggest monolith close to the ocean in the world (842m/2762ft high), the ‘table mountain’ of Rio. From this summit, we can also see the West coast of Rio, Barra area with its lagoons and mangrove, also Ipanema and Leblon beaches and Dois Irmãos Hill.
The Pedra Bonita trail goes through Tijuca Rainforest (National Park), one of the largest urban forests in the world with more than 40 km2 and located in the heart of Rio. On the way up, it may be possible to see some wildlife like toucans, coatis and monkeys. During the tour, discover the history of Rio, Tijuca Forest and all about the coffee farms that used to exist there, the reforestation held in the XIX century, information and curiosities about the fauna and flora of the tropical rainforest ecosystem. The tour also includes a visit to another sector of the Tijuca Park, stopping by the Chinese View Belvedere, maybe the best summit in Rio with views to the Southern side and one of the very few spots in the city where you can get Christ Redeemer, Sugar Loaf, the beach and the lagoon in the same frame.
1) Start time shown on the calendar below is an ESTIMATION. Pick up time depends on your meeting point. We’ll email you on the night before (08:10pm) to inform exact pick-up time for your meeting point.
2) All participants must be aware and CAPABLE FIT to perform the hike (3,5km = 2,2mi / 1,5 to 2h / elev.gain 203m = 667ft)
3) Total duration can vary due to traffic, so we DO NOT recommend to book a tour on dates with other important appointments (flights, other tours etc).
4) Required for the insurance for ALL participants: full name, date of birth and passport numbers.
5) Payment options:
• total amount online (credit card or PayPal)
• total amount in CASH to the tour guide.
• deposit fee online (100BRL/person) + balance (cash) to the tour guide (if you choose private, 50% deposit)
6) Transport is included from designated hotels in the South Rio. Check the chart below with the complete list (if you’re not in any of them, choose the closest option).
7) In case of RAIN and really BAD WEATHER, the tour can be rescheduled (according to yours and our availability). If we do not agree with a new date nothing will be charged.
Requires some fitness. Pedra Bonita Hike (2h) on rising trail going up and down hill on rough terrain, inside the tropical rainforest. Age: above 8 years old
|Regular / collective tour (maximum 6 people)||Adult (age + 13): 250BRL/person||Child (8 to 12): 190BRL/person|
|Private group (total price BRL) - exclusive car and tour guide||1||2||3||4||5||6|
Get a FREE e-guidebook of Rio
7-Day Itinerary for Rio de Janeiro
NOT SO SURE ABOUT THE TOUR ABOVE?
Check some other HARDER or EASIER options of eco-tours.
Tijuca Forest Adventure Circuit
Full-day | from 299BRL
Hike in Tijuca Forest National Park, one of the largest urban forests in the world. An off the beaten track circuit of trails to discover its nature and history. Visit peaks, ruins, caves and waterfalls, hiking in the deep jungle, over suspension bridges and streams, in a more hidden area of Tijuca National Park. Get ready to hike and adventure yourself! [INCLUDES]: transport + tour guide + insurance, waterfall shower, Taunay Waterfall. (read)
- Hike: HARD (9km=5.6mi) / 4 to 5h / elev. gain 651m (2135ft)
- Total duration: approx. 8 to 9h (full-day tour)
- Regular collective (max. 6 participants): from 280BRL/person
- Private: from 780BRL
Rio Eco Secrets
('The Eco Citytour')
Full-day | from 299BRL
Visit 7 attractions in 5 different nature parks. Discover in 1 day all the beautiful nature and lush of Rio, visiting a diverse variety of ecosystems and amazing landscapes. Tropical rainforest, secluded beaches, mountains, waterfalls, lagoons and maybe some wildlife. (read)
- Eco-sightseeing: VERY EASY. The tour do NOT include hiking, only low impact short walks on each of the 7 attractions
- Total duration: approx. 8h (full-day tour)
- Regular/collective (max. 6 participants): from 280BRL/person
- Private: from 780BRL