Adventure & History
at Tijuca Forest
Discover the secrets of Rio's famous rainforest
We only work with very SMALL GROUPS, with maximum 6 participants and our activities are mainly outdoors, with very low risk, even though we’ll follow these practices to mitigate any chance of contagion.
In this Tijuca Forest tour circuit, we will visit a variety of attractions in the Tijuca Forest National Park that are not well known so it has a more exclusive touch. In a walk of approximately 6 km, we will hike along trails made in 19th century, a period when this area was occupied by coffee plantations and you’ll discover and learn the history and curiosities about Tijuca National Park, the largest replanted urban forest in the world.
Along the circuit you will visit the Cascatinha Taunay (largest waterfall in the National Park), the Mayrink Chapel (built in 1850), the Cova da Onça Suspension Bridge, the Eucalyptus Forest (which houses an old slave cemetery) and the Morcego’s Grotto (largest gneiss cave in Brazil).
After this moment you will have the opportunity to cool off at the Baronesa Cascade waterfall, and then start the journey back to the starting point passing the former residence of Barão d’Escragnolle, one of the park’s manager in the past (now The Esquilos restaurant) and also the Wallace Fountain, with a sculpture representing Goodness, Charity, Sobriety and Simplicity, a gift from the English philanthropist Richard Wallace to Brazil and produced inFrance in 1870.
This circuit combines adventure, history, nature, a waterfall shower, among other things, passing through somehow hidden spots and attractions that reveal the richness and personality of Rio de Janeiro and its tropical rainforest.
1) Start time shown on the calendar below is an ESTIMATION. Pick up time depends on your meeting point. We’ll email you on the night before (08:10pm) to inform exact pick-up time for your meeting point.
2) All participants must be aware and CAPABLE FIT to perform the hike (6km = 3.7mi / approx 3h / elev.gain 354m = 1161ft)
3) Total duration can vary due to traffic, so we DO NOT recommend to book a tour on dates with other important appointments (flights, other tours etc).
4) Required for the insurance for ALL participants: full name, date of birth and passport numbers.
5) Payment options:
• total amount online (credit card or PayPal)
• total amount in CASH to the tour guide.
• deposit fee online (130BRL/person) + balance cash (100BRL/person) to the tour guide (if you choose private, 50% deposit)
6) Transport is included from designated hotels in the South Rio. Check the chart below with the complete list (if you’re not in any of them, choose the closest option).
7) In case of RAIN and really BAD WEATHER, the tour can be rescheduled (according to yours and our availability). If we do not agree with a new date nothing will be charged.
Requires some fitness. Hiking at Tijuca Park (about 3h) on a rising trail going up and down hill on rough terrain, inside the tropical rainforest.
|Regular / collective tour (maximum 6 people)||230BRL /person|
|Private group (total price BRL) - exclusive car and tour guide||1||2||3||4||5||6|
Get a FREE e-guidebook of Rio
7-Day Itinerary for Rio de Janeiro
NOT SO SURE ABOUT THE TOUR ABOVE?
Check some other HARDER or EASIER options of eco-tours.
Tijuca Forest Adventure Circuit
Full-day | from 280BRL
Hike in Tijuca Forest National Park, one of the largest urban forests in the world. An off the beaten track circuit of trails to discover its nature and history. Visit peaks, ruins, caves and waterfalls, hiking in the deep jungle, over suspension bridges and streams, in a more hidden area of Tijuca National Park. Get ready to hike and adventure yourself! [INCLUDES]: transport + tour guide + insurance, waterfall shower, Taunay Waterfall. (read)
- Hike: HARD (9km=5.6mi) / 4 to 5h / elev. gain 651m (2135ft)
- Total duration: approx. 8 to 9h (full-day tour)
- Regular collective (max. 6 participants): 280BRL/person
- Private: from 650BRL
Rio Eco Secrets
('The Eco Citytour')
Full-day | from 280BRL
Visit 7 attractions in 5 different nature parks. Discover in 1 day all the beautiful nature and lush of Rio, visiting a diverse variety of ecosystems and amazing landscapes. Tropical rainforest, secluded beaches, mountains, waterfalls, lagoons and maybe some wildlife. (read complete description)
- Eco-sightseeing: VERY EASY. The tour do NOT include hiking, only low impact short walks on each of the 7 attractions
- Total duration: approx. 8h (full-day tour)
- Regular/collective (max. 6 participants): 280BRL/person
- Private: from 650BRL